The Ohio Center for the Book is hosting a number of book discussions and events in northeast Ohio over the summer. Mark your calendars, and we hope to see you there!
For full details, see below or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216-623-2881.
- Thursday, June 2 – 6:00 pm – Putin’s Russia: The Rise of a Dictator by Darryl Cunningham (Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club @ Bookhouse Brewing)
- Saturday, June 18 – 3:00 pm – Recitatif: A Story by Toni Morrison (Poetry & Prose: Reading is Aloud @ Cleveland Public Library Rice Branch)
- Saturday, June 25 – 10:30 am – Something New Under the Sun by Alexandra Kleeman (The Last Saturday Book Club @ Edgewater Beach House)
- Thursday, July 7 – 6:00 pm – Berlin: The City of Stones by Jason Lutes (Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club @ Bookhouse Brewing)
- Saturday, July 23 – 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – Hands-on comics workshop with featured creator Dan Gorman (Coffee & Comics @ Rising Star Roastery)
- Saturday, July 23 – 3:00 pm – When the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain (Poetry & Prose: Read Ohio Book Club @ Cleveland Public Library Carnegie West Branch)
- Saturday, July 30 – 10:30 am – Severance by Ling Ma (The Last Saturday Book Club @ Rivergate Park’s Merwin’s Wharf)
- Thursday, August 4 – 6:00 pm – Berlin: City of Smoke by Jason Lutes (Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club @ Bookhouse Brewing)
- Saturday, August 20 – 2:00 to 3:30 pm – Open Mic Poetry! (Poetry & Prose @ Cleveland Public Library Langston Hughes Branch)
- Saturday, August 27 – 10:30 am – Zone One by Colson Whitehead (The Last Saturday Book Club @ Euclid Beach Park picnic shelter)
Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club
The Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club meets on the first Thursday of each month at Bookhouse Brewing located at 1526 W 25th St, Cleveland, OH 44113. The Ohio Center for the Book is dedicated to raising the awareness of comics as a literary medium of expression in both fiction and non-fiction. This summer’s discussions include both.
Thursday, June 2 – 6:00 pm
Putin’s Russia: The Rise of a Dictator by Darryl Cunningham
Current events have, unfortunately, made Cunningham’s biography of Russian President Vladimir Putin required reading. You can read a sample of a few pages online from the publisher. Join us for a discussion of the book as well as its significance in understanding world events and the history of modern Russia.
Thursday, July 7 – 6:00 pm
Berlin: The City of Stones by Jason Lutes
Thursday, August 4 – 6:00 pm
Berlin: City of Smoke by Jason Lutes
The Get Graphic! Graphic Novel Book Club will be reading the three volumes of Berlin by Jason Lutes in July, August, and September. Called “one of the great epics of the comics medium,” Berlin tells the moving story of several citizens of the German capital during the decline and fall of the Weimar Republic.
Poetry & Prose
Saturday, June 18 – 3:00 pm – Reading is Aloud
Participants will read aloud and discuss Tony Morrison’s only published short story, Recitatif: A Story. Held at the Cleveland Public Library’s Rice Branch.
Saturday, July 23 – 3:00 pm – Read Ohio Book Club
Join us for a discussion of Ohio author Paula McLain’s newest book, When the Stars Go Dark. Held at the Cleveland Public Library’s Carnegie West Branch.
Saturday, August 20 – 2:00 – 3:30 pm – Open Mic Poetry!
The mic will be open for those who want to share original poems or their favorite works of poetry. This event will take place, appropriately, at Cleveland Public Library’s Langston Hughes Branch!
The Last Saturday Book Club
The Last Saturday Book Club will expand your idea of what a literary “post-apocalyptic” novel can be. The discussions will take place at outside venues for attendees to enjoy the sunshine while digging into some dark themes and scary places.
Saturday, June 25 – 10:30 am
This month, put on your sunscreen and bring your beach blanket to Edgewater Park for a discussion on the dystopian cli-fi novel Something New Under the Sun by Alexandra Kleeman. Meet at the east end of the Edgewater Beach House.
Saturday, July 30 – 10:30 am
Saturday, August 27 – 10:30 am
Coffee & Comics
Join us as we host a comics-creating workshop with local comics artists. Learn from comics pros how to create your own comics or refine your sequential art skill. You might learn some valuable insider information on the comics industry! Held at Rising Star Roastery located at 3617 Walton Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113.
Saturday, July 23 – 10:00 am to 12:00 pm: Featured creator – Dan Gorman!
Dan Gorman is a trained Medical Illustrator with his BFA in Medical Illustration from the Cleveland Institute of Art (1999). Dan began working as a Sketch Card Artist in 2010 and has since worked on over 150 Licensed Trading Card sets featuring properties that include, but are not limited to, Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Alien, The Lord of the Rings, Vampirella, Bettie Page, KISS, Rick & Morty, Steven Universe, MLB and AMC’s The Walking Dead. In 2012, Dan began his career as a Comic Book Penciler and has been published by Dark Horse (Grindhouse), AC Comics (FemForce), Empire Comics Lab (Cemetery Plots), Source Point Press. (The Rejected, Kringle, Turkey Day), Caliber Comics (Mississippi Zombie, Harvest of Horrors) and Second Sight Publishing (The Horn Island Trilogy). Dan is a member in good standing of the National Cartoonists Society and creates a weekly webcomic for The Akron RubberDucks (Cleveland Indians Affiliate) Baseball team called “RubberDucks Tales.” Dan writes and draws a webcomic called the Akron Knight which you can read at akronknightcomic.com. Dan also helps run and promote several local Comicons and Pop Culture Cons, most notably The Akron Comicon, as well as helping run Rubber City Comics in downtown Akron. You can see more of Dan’s work at dangormanart.com and be sure to follow him @GDanArtist on Twitter and Instagram!