Join us for Free Comic Book Day on May 6, 2023!
At each location, kids can choose a free comic book and enjoy a variety of activities. Dress up as your favorite superhero and help us celebrate the love of comics! Comic book supplies are limited, so be sure to get there early! The events are sponsored by the Ohio Center for the Book.
Free Comic Book Day started in May 2002 as a promotional event for North American comic book stores to attract new readers to comic book stores. Over 2,000 stores participate in this event; and, although libraries typically do not participate, the Ohio Center for the Book at Cleveland Public Library has partnered with Carol and Johns Comic Book Shop to help bring this amazing event to you!
The following Cleveland Public Library Branches will host free events and activities:
- Addison – 6901 Superior Avenue
- Eastman – 11602 Lorain Avenue
- East 131 – 3830 East 131 Street
- Fulton – 3545 Fulton Road
- Glenville – 11900 St. Clair
- Harvard Lee – 16918 Harvard Avenue
- Hough – 6530 Lexington Avenue
- Langston Hughes – 10200 Superior Avenue
- Memorial-Nottingham – 17109 Lakeshore Boulevard
- Rockport – 4421 West 140th Street
- Sterling – 2200 East 30th Street
- West Park – 3805 West 157th Street
With our state being home to numerous comics creators in the past and currently and being the birthplace of Superman, the Ohio Center for the Book takes as one of its primary charges the promotion and advocacy of comics as an important and unique medium of expression. Free Comic Book Day is a great opportunity to put this into action in partnership with our host institution and our local comics shop!